Friday 30 January 2009

Incase you were wondering.


Just to explain the photo in my profile.

I am singly crewed on a Sunday afternoon at about half past one in the afternoon. An IRIR comes in about a domestic between mother and son at an address. I am the only patrol available and subsequently call up for the job. Blue lights and everything on the way and as I turn into the road there is a male on my right on the pavement. I at scene as I turn into the road (can't forget to hit the tag) and all of a sudden there is an enormous crash as the driver's window gets smashed and I feel something tear the sleeve of my shirt. I quickly re-assess and see that there is a young lad with a mace still swinging it looking where to strike next. I'll be honest I'm covered in broken glass and not entirely sure what has happened, another bang and thankfully the windscreen has stood up but what is going to happen next? I drive towards the subject (on the pavement) and he jumps over a garden wall to avoid being run over. I get out and challenge him (figure the words out yourself) and he then produces a knife and a crowbar. These are both decorated in various colours of insulation tape similar to the mace in the picture.
He continues trying to swing the mace at me it has various screws and nails sticking out of it and I decide that I need some help. I try to do this without the orange panic button but am getting drowned out by other radio traffic. I press it and explain the situation. I am re-assured that help is on the way. The male continues to walk backwards issuing threats and challenges towards a busy main road. Once on the road the situation changes. There are other MOP's on the pavement and I am screaming at them to move out of the way. One clown in a car slows down and the passenger produces a mobile phone and starts filming this (still can't find it on Youtube). I can now hear sirens in the distance and know that the gang are on the way. We walk for about another 2-300 yards with me communicating tactically all the way. All the possible police response options are explained and how much better it would be to just give up. Guess what, he didn't. Eventually other patrols arrive and to cut a long story short he was surrounded. He started circling to get an escape route and once when he had his back to me, in the best home office approved method, I struck him to his right leg at the same time 3 colleagues let go with C.S. Work out if you can who also got a dose. Snotting and with eyes streaming I see the male being handcuffed and aftercare being administered. I then realise that there is a fully liveried police car still running in the street with a broken window and more importantly my cigarettes are still inside it. A late comer to the job secures the car and thankfully it is still there along with my cigarettes.
A brief smoke later and off to custody. As we both stand in the holding cell with red eyes and the adrenaline wearing of he says words to the effect that he is sorry and it all started with an argument with his mum. It then becomes apparent that this is the son in question in the original job. This had been forgotten by me (for obvious reasons) and the radio room, it all was made clear then and things made sense. The mum was safe and well and the son locked up for S.4 POA, off weapon and crim dam. Charged with all three and received some sort of silly referral order in court. All jolly worthwhile, not.
It makes me wonder why the country is in the state it's in.
Just as a disclaimer I do not endorse smoking and yes the appropriate form was subsequently filled in.
This post should hopefully explain to people just how fluid a seemingly routine call can be. If subjects similar have been posted previously then I apologise but I do still squeak when typing as I am still new to this.

No comments: